Pascack Valley High School's Official News Site: Where there's smoke, there's fire.

The Smoke Signal

Executive Council

image1-1

From left to right-

Top: (Advisor) Mr. Buchanan, (Rep.) James Della Pesca, (Pres.) Emilio Quevedo, (Sec.) Drew Aral, (Treas.) Matthew Novakowski, (Jr. Liaison) Kelly Petro

Middle: (Athl. Liaison) Sophia Johnston, (Rep.) Mary Kate Viceconte, (Sen. Liaison) Chloe Witt, (P.R. Officer) Andrew Merli, (Board of Ed. Liaison) Amelia Moran, (Athl. Liaison) Legend Dominguez

 Bottom: (V.P.) Jacob Ricco

Not Pictured: (Rep.) Jake Aferiat


Thursday June 1

7:40 A.M.

Exec Meeting #38

  • Valley Cup seemed successful overall
    • Complex relays work
    • Comedy is a constant theme for a good VC
  • Rays for next Tuesday lunch
  • Big council meeting June 8

 

Thursday May 25

7:30 A.M.

Exec Meeting #37

  • Outline
    • Legend and sophia intro and VC standings
    • Relay race
      • Dizzy bat
      • Watermelon eating
      • Tube toss horseshoe
      • Hotdog eating
      • Kan jam
      • Paddle ball
      • Skin the snake
    • Dance
      • Legend and sophia get speakers from reid in the morning
    • Speedball

 

Tuesday May 23

7:30 A.M.

Exec Meeting #36

  • VC #4
  • Order
    • Relay
      • Need
        • 4 gym frisbees
          • Chloe getting them
        • 2 sets of paddleball
          • Buch getting one
          • Looking for another
        • Buy 1 watermelon
        • 8 hot dogs and 8 buns
          • Boil during lunch
        • 4 beach balls
          • Jacob getting them
        • 4 wiffle ball bats
          • Legend amelia, and 2 from gym
        • Pool tubes
          • Everyone ask people with pools
      • Have
        • Both sets of kanjam from kelly and legend
        • 4 solo cups
    • Dance
      • If no senior team is created, the senior class must dance in place for a team
      • Judges all confirmed except for Schuls
    • Speedball
      • Chloe asks gym teachers for 2 gator balls and nets

 

Wednesday May 10th

7:30 A.M.

Big Council Meeting #8

 

    • Approval of minutes from last meeting
      • All past minutes are on The Smoke Signal
    • President’s Reports
        • sen: class gift being picked
        • jun: grad signs and planning awards night
        • soph: planning trivia night and a walk fundraiser
        • frosh: pinny sale for the class and running cause week
    • Treasurer’s Reports
      • $1,019.09
      • $7,229.52
      • $10,578.91
      • $4,915.30
      • $2,224.13
    • Valley Cup #4 = Assembly is on Friday, May 26
      • Theme Days:
        • Monday (5/22) – jersey
        • Tuesday (5/23) – Tourist Day
        • Wednesday (5/24) – Preppy day
        • Thursday (5/25) – patriotic day
        • Friday (5/26) – Class Colors
      • Assembly (Friday, May 26):
        • Class Dance Teams
          • Song(s) = go over time requirements
          • Minimum of 8 dancers = at least 2 for each gender
          • Creativity is part of the evaluation
          • Performance must be approved by your advisors
        • Additional events and activities
      • Be sure the Senior Class Council is set with contact people due to the upcoming trip to Italy (if needed)
    • PSA Results
      • 1st-4th: Juniors, sophomores, freshmen, seniors
    • Preparing for upcoming Class Council Elections

 

  • Class Council Elections are on Wednesday, May 31

 

    • **Important dates for the upcoming Class Council Elections
      • Wednesday, May 17 = Mandatory Informational Meeting (7:30am OR immediately after school = room 203)
      • Monday, May 22 = Signatures, Speeches, and Petitions due to Mr. Buchanan by 3:00pm
      • Wednesday, May 31 = Elections
      • Run offs on Thursday, June 1 = if needed
      • Appointed Representative names due by Monday, June 12 the latest
  • June Big Student Council Meeting = Thursday, June 8
    • Celebration for the 2016-2017 Councils
    • Ceremonial passing of the gavel to the 2017-2018 Executive Council President
    • 2017-2018 Executive Council President’s vision for the year

 

Monday May 8th

11:30 A.M.

Exec Meeting #35

 

  • Sophomore Cause week
    • Bball tourney
      • Senior winners
      • Sophomore runner ups
  • Valley cup
    • Theme days
      • Monday jersey
      • Tuesday tourist
        • Must have 2 items
        • School appropriate
      • Wednesday Prep
      • Thursday red/white/blue
    • Activities
      • Dance
        • Confirmed judges: silvano
        • Ask: schulz and andersen
        • Criteria: same as last year
          • 8 performers w/ 2 of each gender
          • 2-3 minutes
          • creativity/no specifics
        • Possibility of teacher group
      • Relay race
        • Human horseshoes/tube toss
        • Hula hoop line
        • Skin the snake
        • Watermelon eating contest
        • Kanjam
        • Paddle ball
        • Dizzybat
      • speedball

 

Thursday May 4th

7:30 A.M.

Exec Meeting #34

 

  • Valley Cup
    • Dance
      • Judges
        • Silvano
        • Rhodes
        • Andersen
    • Other Event Options
      • Student Teacher Basketball
  • Exec/Senior Week
    • Speedball
      • Must get buch/taha/gotliffe to sponsor
    • Follow up with student group to speak at event
    • Monday dress rehearsal 15th
    • Tuesday concert
    • Wednesday speedball
  • Speedball
    • 1st all juniors
    • 2nd all seniors
  • Soccer
    • 1st 2 senior 3 junior
    • 2nd 4 seniors

 

Friday April 28th

7:30 A.M.

Exec/Senior Meeting

 

  • Week of May 15th
  • Dress rehearsal for concert on Monday 15th
  • Will have concert Tuesday 16th
    • Ask arianna aguero for help with stage production
    • Possibilities: Jaclyn, Gunther, Sue Lee, Nick DiBari, Bari, Marchiano, Marrone, Sophia Urbaniak, Judilla, Jerome, Ben Daniel, Jess Ruby, Dance Team, Choir, Muska, Bernardy, Bro Squad, Tomanelli, Antonio Fyfe, Val, TyLorenzo
  • Speedball on Wednesday 17th
    • Provisional date can be switched due to baseball/lax playoffs
  • Sell shirts through order forms during the week
    • Price solely makes up cost of production so councils make no revenue
  • E-blast from demaio

 

Tuesday April 25th

7:30 A.M.

Exec Council Meeting #35

 

  • Exec council meetings
    • PR officer may go to runoff
    • Deli and Kelly not allowed to run voting booths for conflicts of interest
    • Old gym, lobby, upper and lower caf
    • Matt, Drew, Amelia, and Emilio meet at voting machines 9:50
  • Broadway Cares AIDS awareness
    • Wear black friday
    • Members of ITS will follow each council member for donation collection
  • Reconvene on Exec/Senior Week

 

Wednesday April 19th

7:20 A.M.

Big Council Meeting #7

 

  • Approval of minutes from last meeting
  • All past minutes are on The Smoke Signal
  • President’s Report
    • Senior: moved event to Thursday, planning prom
    • Junior: next week is their cause week, bake sale wednesday, tourney event to be on 26th
    • Soph: cause week setup, ALS sale
    • Frosh: pinny sale, school store, crecco fundraiser planning
  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Exec: $1019.09
    • Sen: $6851
    • Jun: $13242.91
    • Soph: $3685.82
    • Frosh: $1782
  • Update on Class Cause Weeks
    • Weeks
      • Seniors – week of April 17
      • Juniors – week of April 24
      • Sophomores – week of May 1
      • Freshmen – week of May 8
      • Executive and Seniors – TBD
    • Review requirements and point values for the upcoming Class Cause Weeks
      • PSA – 100, 75, 50, 40
      • Class Color Dress Up Days = on the day of your event, the entire school will wear your class color **Regular Valley Cup points apply to dress up days
        • Discussion on which dates you want dress up days
      • Event – 50 points for 1st place team; 25 points for 2nd place team (if mixed team= split up points based on players from each grade; if faculty member on team = take out points that would go to the faculty member)
        • Be sure you notify Mr. Buchanan regarding the results
    • Hallway decoration = Front Lobby and New Gym Entrance
      • No Valley Cup points, but you are required to decorate for your designated week
      • Be sure you take down your decorations Friday after school of your designated week
  • Senior Citizen’s Day on April 20 (This is an R4 Day) **This is tomorrow
    • Executive Council – wear Exec shirts
    • Class Councils – wear Class Color shirts
    • Must be on time for all responsibilities throughout the day
    • Council responsibilities on April 20
      • Freshman and Sophomore Councils
        • Meet in the cafe for all of period 4 – meet the Senior Citizens and help with breakfast/registration
        • Chaperone for the Senior Citizens throughout the day – help our visitors get to periods 1, 2, 3, and to the auditorium at the beginning of lunch
        • Help with lunch set up at the beginning of period 7 – report to the cafe at the beginning of period 7 to help set up for lunch
      • Junior and Senior Councils
        • Meet in the cafe for all of period 4 – meet the Senior Citizens and help with breakfast/registration
        • Chaperone for the Senior Citizens throughout the day – help our visitors get to periods 1, 2, 3, and to the auditorium at the beginning of lunch
        • Help clean up lunch half way through period 5 – report to the cafe half way through period 5 to help clean up lunch
      • Executive Council
        • Setup registration, serve breakfast, and register Senior Citizens beginning at 7:15am in the cafe (registration will take place during period 4)
        • Chaperone for the Senior Citizens throughout the day – help our visitors get to periods 1, 2, 3, and to the auditorium at the beginning of lunch
        • Serve lunch during period 7 in the cafe
        • Executive Council will also help the Junior and Senior Councils clean up lunch during period 5
        • Run trivia activity after lunch
    • Schedule for the day (This is an R4 Day)
      • Breakfast/ Registration – period 4 (in the cafe)
      • Visit classrooms – periods 1, 2, and 3
      • Band and Choir performances –  lunch block period and beginning of period 7
      • Lunch – 2nd half of period 7 and all of period 5 (in the cafe)
      • Trivia and Robotics Demonstration – end of period 5 (in the cafe)
  • Preparing for upcoming Executive and Class Council Elections
    • Executive Council Elections on Wednesday, April 26
    • Class Council Elections on Wednesday, May 31
  • Final Valley Cup Week and Assembly in May
    • Final Valley Cup Assembly is on Friday, May 26
    • Events:
      • Class Council Dance Teams
      • Other events
        • frisbee
      • Theme Days
        • Beach day
        • Prep day
        • Fit freak
        • jorts/cargos/chubbies
        • USA day
    • Please contact Sophia and Legend if there are any ideas/suggestions for the final Valley Cup Week and Assembly

 

Tuesday April 18th

7:30 A.M.

Exec Meeting #34

  • Senior Class Cause Week
    • PSA shown today
    • Speedball tourney moved to Thursday
    • Wear red wednesday
      • Count tomorrow during period 4
  • Senior Citizen Day Thursday
    • Wear exec shirts
    • Show up at 7:15
    • Emilio and Chloe to go to Saint John’s during wednesday’s lunch to pitch the day to the seniors
    • Registration
      • Everybody use google doc
      • Tally mark on each class for school schedule so that we can spread out senior citizens to most classes possible given the small population of senior citizens this year

 

Tuesday April 4th

7:30 A.M.

Exec Meeting #33

  • Senior Citizen Day
    • Make school schedule with all classes per per period on posters
      • Equally schedule senior citizens throughout the classes
        • Jacob to schedule
          • R4 schedule that day
          • 8:15 check in (missing 4th period)
          • Bring them to periods 1, 2, and 3
          • Band and choir
          • Lunch
          • Robotics and trivia
        • Chloe & Emilio to make the posters
  • Cause Weeks
    • Confirm that PSA’s are prepared
    • Judges are confirmed
      • Sherman
      • Back
      • Mattesich
    • Seniors are the first week
  • Freeholder meeting at 7:30 Wednesday at Hills
  • Big Council Meeting in 2 weeks Wednesday 4/19
  • Earth Day dress up with Blue 4/21
  • ITS AIDS Awareness day wear black reschedule for 4/28
  • Exec election Wednesday 4/26

 

Tuesday March 28th

7:30 A.M.

Exec Meeting #32

  • Valley Cup #3 review
    • General feedback
      • As long as booing doesn’t go against another class it’s allowed
      • Future councils to finish on hungry hungry hippos
      • People like the second one better than the third
      • Will and Kennedy will do the chant from now on
  • Human rights league wants to have a dress up day for earth day
    • Wear blue
    • Day before earth day April, 21
  • PH is hosting Freeholder meeting
    • Seeing how state government works
    • 7:30 A.M. April, 5
    • Need as many people to show up as possible
  • Senior Citizen Day
    • Do trivia after lunch to fill in time gap
      • Get whiteboards from DelSanto
  • Cause Weeks
    • PSA’s are due Friday
  • Big Council Meeting on Wednesday April 19th
    • Day before Senior Citizen Day

 

Tuesday March 21st

7:20 A.M.

Exec Meeting #31

  • Valley Cup
    • Music
      • rubric completed
        • 3 minutes changed to minute performance
        • No instrument performance necessary
      • Judges
        • Kibala *newly appointed
        • Marchiano
        • Marrone dropped out
          • Looking to replace with Recine
        • Each judge will have 8 rubrics, one for each performance
      • Points
        • 1st 200 points
        • 2nd 150 points
        • 3rd 125 points
        • 4th 100 points
    • Hungry hungry hippos
      • Emilio picking up scooters to test today
      • Kelly asks Koenig, Jacob asks Kennedy, Buch asks custodians about rope
      • Scoring
        • Big ball- 10 points
        • Small ball- 5 points
        • Point value of the balls do not equally translate to VC points, only final placement position of the competition
        • Points
          • 1st 75 points
          • 2nd 50 points
          • 3rd 25 points
          • 4th 10 points
    • Hockey
      • Jake confirming gym materials with Gallione today
        • Talk to Cusamano for the weight belts
      • Points
        • 1st 40 points
        • 2nd 30 points
        • 3rd 20 points
        • 4th 10 points
      • Reffed by DelSanto
    • Irish dancing CANCELLED
    • Beuscher chant
      • Chloe asking Mr. Will
      • Buchan to talk to Austin or Conor
    • Meet tomorrow morning at 7:30 A.M. for walkthrough

 

Thursday March 16th

7:20 A.M.

Big Council Meeting 16th

    • Approval of minutes from last meeting
      • All past minutes are on The Smoke Signal
    • President’s Report
      • Senior: Finishing the PSA, planning for prom, doing parking spot raffle and discussing week
      • Junior: prom done and field trip set up. selling grad signs and finishing psa
      • Sophomore: als clothes, finish psa, trivia night
      • Freshman: music and singer for valley cup found. finishing cause week and psa
    • Treasurer’s Report
      • Exec: $1008.09
      • Senior: $6269
      • Junior: $44,825
      • Sophomore: $4,981
      • Freshman: $2,837
    • Valley Cup #3
      • Wednesday, March 22
      • Theme Days:
        • Monday (3/20) – Groufit
        • Tuesday (3/21) – Throwback Tuesday
        • Wednesday (3/22) – Class Colors Day
      • Activities:
        • Irish dancers performing
        • Hunt for Kennedy (2 players = one male, one female)
        • Hungry, Hungry Hippo (2 players = one male, one female)
        • Hockey Shootout (4 players = one is goalie; 3 shooters)
        • Musical Performances
          • Please select TWO performers (singers and/or musicians) from your grade to perform at the assembly
          • Time limit for the performance – 1:00 PER SONG
          • Each duo will perform TWO songs = please have TWO 1:00 SONGS prepared
          • Set up in tournament style format
          • Limited sound equipment available = go over the sound equipment we have for the assembly
          • Musicians will provide their own instruments and gear, including amps, except a piano – we will borrow a piano from the Music Department)
          • musicians
            • juniors must get their performers ASAP
        • Be sure you are planning for the musical competition and the other activities
    • Update on Class Cause Weeks
      • PSA due March 31
      • Weeks
        • Executive and Seniors – moving until after last week
        • Seniors – week of April 17
          • still looking for speaker
        • Juniors – week of April 24
          • taking alt route to speaker
        • Sophomores – week of May 1
          • have speaker
        • Freshmen – week of May 8
          • have speaker
      • Events = be sure everything is approved and finalized
      • Update from each council, including Executive Council
      • Review requirements and point values for the upcoming Class Cause Weeks
        • PSA – 100, 75, 50, 40 **PSA due March 31
          • Discuss time limit, use of professional videos, and serious tone throughout
        • Class Color Dress Up Days = on the day of your event, the entire school will wear your class color **Regular Valley Cup points apply to dress up days
        • Event – 50 points for 1st place team; 25 points for 2nd place team (if mixed team= split up points based on players from each grade; if faculty member on team = take out points that would go to the faculty member)
      • Hallway decoration = Front Lobby and New Gym Entrance
        • No Valley Cup points, but you are required to decorate for your designated week
        • Be sure you take down your decorations Friday after school of your designated week
      • Councils are encouraged to do fundraising, promotional events, and activities throughout your designated week to help raise awareness/funds for your cause
        • Be sure you talk to the other Class Councils and Executive Council about your plans – this will help eliminate any repeat ideas
    • Senior Citizen’s Day on April 20 (This is an R4 Day)
      • Council responsibilities on April 20
        • Freshman and Sophomore Councils
          • Meet in the café for all of period 4 – meet the Senior Citizens and help with breakfast/registration
          • Chaperone for the Senior Citizens throughout the day – help our visitors get to periods 1, 2, 3, and to the auditorium at the beginning of lunch
          • Help with lunch set up at the beginning of period 7 – report to the Café at the beginning of period 7 to help set up for lunch
        • Junior and Senior Councils
          • Meet in the café for all of period 4 – meet the Senior Citizens and help with breakfast/registration
          • Chaperone for the Senior Citizens throughout the day – help our visitors get to periods 1, 2, 3, and to the auditorium at the beginning of lunch
          • Help clean up lunch half way through period 5 – report to the Cafe half way through period 5 to help clean up lunch
        • Executive Council
          • Setup registration, serve breakfast, and register Senior Citizens beginning at 7:15am in the café (registration will take place during period 4)
          • Chaperone for the Senior Citizens throughout the day – help our visitors get to periods 1, 2, 3, and to the auditorium at the beginning of lunch
          • Serve lunch during period 7 in the Cafe
          • Executive Council will also help the Junior and Senior Councils clean up lunch during period 5
      • Schedule for the day (This is an R4 Day)
        • Breakfast/ Registration – period 4 (in the Café
        • Visit classrooms – periods 1, 2, and 3
        • Activity –  lunch block period and half of period 7
        • Lunch – end of period 7 and all of period 5 (in the Cafe)
        • Activity – location and time TBD
    • Preparing for upcoming Executive and Class Council Elections

 

  • Executive Council Elections on Wednesday, April 26

 

        • Important dates for the upcoming Executive Council Elections
        • Wednesday, April 5 = Mandatory Informational Meeting
          • just executive council positions
        • Tuesday, April 18 = Speeches and Petitions due to Mr. Buchanan by 3:00pm
          • hard deadline
        • Wednesday, April 26 = Elections

 

  • Class Council Elections on Wednesday, May 31

 

  • Final Valley Cup Week and Assembly in May
    • Final Valley Cup Assembly is Friday, May 26
    • Events:
      • Class Council Dance Teams
      • Other events????
      • Theme Days????
    • Please contact Sophia and Legend if there are any ideas/suggestions for the final Valley Cup Week and Assembly

 

Monday March 13th

11:22 A.M.

Exec Meeting #30

  • Shift big council meeting moved to Thursday 3/16
  • VC 3&4
    • Dress up
      • Monday: groutfit
      • Tuesday: change to throwback tuesday
        • Mitzvah clothing
        • Middle and elementary school
      • Wednesday: Class colors
    • Music
      • seniors: gunth and jaclyn
      • Juniors: unsure
      • Sophomores: unsure
      • Freshmen: unsure
      • Find kibala as a possible replacement judge
    • Hippos
      • Two from each grade
    • Hockey
      • 1 goalie 3 shooters
      • Soccer shootout rules
    • Irish dance
      • Neeve and brother

 

Wednesday March 8th

7:30 A.M.

Exec Meeting #29

  • Counting for chinese
    • Counting during 2nd slot 4th period
    • Jacob announcing results over the loudspeaker
  • Junior/senior prom assembly
    • Councils show up early to help take attendance
  • Blood drive went smoothly
    • Limited floaters
    • 2 pass out
    • Generally high turn out
  • Valley Cup
    • Music
      • Marrone confirmed to be judge
      • Still left: Marchiano, rhodes
      • Rubric to be made by legend and sophia
    • Find kennedy confirmed
  • Big council meeting next week
  • Prevention week
    • Speedball in the new gym confirmed
      • Gymnastic mats to divide the gym for 2 games
    • Ask more performers

 

Thursday March 2nd

7:30 A.M.

Exec/Senior Meeting #4

  • Shirts
    • Price quote undetermined
    • Sold to entire school
    • All profits to be donated
    • Sales plan
      • Sell first round of shirts
      • Use profit from first round to buy second round for the theme week to get most shirts/awareness out possible
      • Overall profits go to suicide prevention
  • Theme week
    • Wednesday March 29th
    • 7-9:30 P.M.
    • Target performers and then open spots up to anyone
      • Possibilities: Jaclyn, Gunther, Sue Lee, Nick DiBari, Bari, Marchiano, Marrone, Sophia Urbaniak, Judilla, Jerome, Ben Daniel, Jess Ruby, Dance Team, Choir, Muska, Bernardy, Bro Squad, Tomanelli, Antonio Fyfe
    • Run through performances in dress rehearsal the day before
    • Speedball will be in the new gym
    • Monday: Coffee/donut sale in the morning
    • Tuesday: Bake Sale after school
    • Wednesday: food at the event
    • Still looking for Pascack Period speakers

 

Tuesday February 28th, 2017

7:20 A.M.

Council Meeting #29

  • Class cause weeks
    • PSA judges confirmed
    • Rubrics done
    • Due March 31
    • Advisors need to follow up with Gattoni
  • VC 3 & 4
    • Plan
      • Music
        • Need judges and rubric
          • Judge prospects: Zayak, Rhodes, Marrone, Marchiano
          • Use physics decibel meters as part of rubric
      • Class dances*
      • Frisbee*
      • Hockey*
        • *see rules in last big council meetings
      • Irish dancing
        • Neeve and her brother confirmed
      • Dress-up days
        • Monday: groutfit
        • Tuesday: Jersey day
        • Wednesday: Class colors
  • Sportsmanship statements complete
  • Initial plans for blood drive (March 7)
    • Next Tuesday morning so no meeting
    • Exec arrive to new gym at 7 A.M. and wear Exec shirts
    • Hourly shifts at stations
      • Check in
      • Check out
      • Greeter/Backpacks
      • Escorts
      • Buchanan and Fallon toss the hanger-oners
    • Always walk slightly behind donors and hold their backpacks
    • Who is in charge
      • Set up by February 9
  • Next big council meeting on
  • Chinese NHS dress up days
    • Wear black
    • Supporting anti-illegal organ harvesting
  • Exec & Senior Meeting
    • Thursday Morning March 2nd

 

February 16th, 2017

7:20 A.M.

Big Council Meeting #6

  • Approval of Minutes from last meeting – all minutes are on The Smoke Signal website
  • President’s Report
    • Class President’s Report
      • Senior: carnation sale need more fundraisers for prom. food trucks were bad. another karaoke night. taping teacher to the wall
      • Junior: finished forms for prom. making field trips
      • Sophomore: Making ALS clothes, finished video script
      • Freshman: $100 movie night. pj sale due friday. finishing mural. talking about PSA.
  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Class Treasurer’s Report
      • Exec: $919.09
      • Senior: $6500
      • Junior: $8000-9000
      • Sophomore: $4497.32
      • Freshman: $3511

 

    • Update on Class Cause Weeks
      • Weeks
        • Exec – week of March 20
          • Suicide Prevention cause
          • speedball
          • bakesale
          • clothing fundraiser
          • benefit concert
            • choir would perform
            • Jeremy Gunther
            • look around for other students who want to partake
        • Seniors – week of April 17
          • speedball
          • scheduled time with Gattoni
          • may use tape idea for cause week
        • Juniors – week of April 24
          • soccer
          • scheduled time with Gattoni as the 27th
          • speaker could be a personal friend of Zach
        • Sophomores – week of May 1
          • basketball
          • scheduled time with Gattoni as May 4
          • Pres. Urbaniak
        • Freshmen – week of May 8
          • volleyball
          • scheduled time with Gattoni
          • approved speaker from the alzheimer’s association
      • Review requirements and point values for the upcoming Class Cause Weeks
        • PSA – 100, 75, 50, 40 **PSA due March 31 (PSA rubric is attached)
          • Discuss time limit, use of professional videos, and serious tone throughout
        • Class Color Dress Up Days
          • on the day of your event, the entire school will wear your class color
          • Regular Valley Cup points apply to dress up days
        • Point evaluation
          • 50 points for 1st place team; 25 points for 2nd place team (if mixed team= split up points based on players from each grade; if faculty member on team = take out points that would go to the faculty member)
      • Hallway decoration
        • Front Lobby and New Gym Entrance
        • No Valley Cup points, but you are required to decorate for your designated week
        • Be sure you take down your decorations Friday after school of your designated week
      • Councils are encouraged to do fundraising, promotional events, and activities throughout your designated week to help raise awareness/funds for your cause
        • try not to copy other councils with unique events like teacher taping
        • look to bring in new strategies besides bake sales such as coffee & donut sales, empanadas, etc.

 

  • All of these activities can be during the school day and MUST be approved by your advisors and the main office

 

          • There will be NO Valley Cup points for these activities
          • Don’t forget to take advantage of the Pascack Period and common lunch period

 

  • There will be NO school wide donation collections through homeroom periods (similar to how Home for Our Troops or Caps for Kids donations are collected)

 

        • If you plan on collecting donations, you must come up with a creative way to raise money
  • Blood Drive (March 7, 2017)
    • Be sure you are encouraging your council members and grades to participate in the blood drive
      • (16 years and older are allowed to donate blood)
    • Informational meeting during all Junior and Senior PE classes happened on February 13
    • Consent form for all 16 AND 17 year olds
      • due March 6th
      • 18 year olds don’t need a consent form
  • Valley Cup #3 (March 22, 2017)
    • Theme Days
      • Monday (3/20) – Groutfit
      • Tuesday (3/21) – Jersey (no PV clothing will count)
      • Wednesday (3/22) – Class Color Day
    • Events
      • Irish dancers performing
      • Activity with the crowd
      • Hunt for Kennedy
        • one boy one girl
      • Hungry, Hungry Hippo *not finalized yet
        • one boy one girl
      • Hockey Shootout *not finalized yet
        • same rules as soccer shootout
        • no gender requirement
      • Musical Performances
        • Please select TWO performers (singers and/or musicians) from your grade to perform at the assembly
        • Time limit for the performance – 1:00 PER SONG
        • Each duo will perform TWO songs = please have TWO 1:00 SONGS prepared
        • Set up in tournament style format
        • Limited sound equipment available = go over the sound equipment we have for the assembly
        • Musicians will provide their own instruments and gear (except a piano – we will borrow a piano from the Music Department)
        • More specific information and point value to follow, but please begin to identify performers who are interested in participating
    • Be sure you start planning for the musical competition and the other activities
  • Senior Citizen Day (April 20, 2017)
    • ALL councils will all be helping with Senior Citizen Day (be sure you put the date aside)
    • More specific information will be forthcoming as the date gets closer
  • Sportsmanship Statement at all winter sports events
    • Sophomores ending after next thursday

Tuesday February 14th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Council Meeting #29

  • VC
    • Moved to Wednesday March 22
      • The day before St. Patrick’s Day
    • Dress up days
      • Monday: groutfit
      • Tuesday: Jersey day
      • Wednesday: Class colors
    • Events
      • Hungry hungry hippos
        • 1 boy 1 girl
      • hockey shootout
        • 3 shooters 1 goalie
        • Need one goal
        • Same rules as soccer shootout
      • Find Kennedy during other events to save time
        • 1 boy 1 girl
      • Battle of the bands
      • Irish dancing
  • Speedball for Suicide Prevention fund on March 28th
  • Blood drive
    • Tuesday March 7th
    • Excel sheet for roster of donors
    • Walk students back to class

Tuesday February 7th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Council Meeting #27

  • Class Cause Weeks
    • PSA
      • Advisors need to follow up with Gattoni
      • Due
        • Friday March 31
      • Rubrics
        • Jake to review
      • Judges
        • Sherman
        • Mattesich
        • Back
  • VC 3 & 4
    • 3rd VC
      • Hungry hungry hippos
      • Music
        • duets
        • Tournament style
          • With consolation round
        • Everyone has two 1 minute performances
      • Hockey
      • Find kennedy
    • 4th VC
      • Class dances
      • Speedball shootout
  • Sportsmanship statement for winter
    • Organize councils
      • Emilio ask emma
  • Initial plans for blood drive
    • March 7

 

Thursday December 15, 2016

7:20 A.M.

Big Council Meeting #5

    • Approval of minutes from last meeting – all minutes are on The Smoke Signal
    • President’s Report
      • Class President’s Report
        • seniors
          • get speaker
          • carnations
          • final seniors t shirt
          • prom committee finalized
        • juniors
          • starting prom
          • lock in/out
          • plani fundraiser with pioneers
        • sophomores
          • setting up basketball tournament for cause week
        • freshmen
          • bulletin board done
          • finish mural
          • got speaker for pascack period
          • going to start a pajama pants sale
          • selling chocolate covered pretzels for valentine’s day
    • Treasurer’s Report
      • Class Treasurer’s Report
      • Exec: $919.-09
      • Senior: $6128.90
      • Junior: $9000
      • Sophomore: $4122.50
      • Freshmen: about $3000
    • Sportsmanship Statement read at ALL basketball and wrestling matches
      • Be sure all councils have the Google doc from Chloe and that all councils have the Sportsmanship Statement
        • meant to inform that collecting is the 20th and you’re meant to wear a hat
          • people can still donate today, the 19th
      • Speakers do not have to pay the gate fee – just let the gate workers know you are there to read the Sportsmanship Statement
    • Report on the lunch meeting with the Superintendent
      • Share information with the entire council regarding the topics covered with last week’s lunch meeting
        • semester break is better than one long year
        • discussed whether or not the school is offering enough opportunities for students
        • people had problems with freshmen seminar
        • overall people like the one lunch more
        • no one knows what happens at mid year “snapshot”
          • teacher decides when MP ends around the 20th
          • grade stoppage is up to the teacher for your semester so no one knows when the MP exactly ends
    • Caps for Kids – January 20
      • Be sure you help promote Caps for Kids through social media, email, and word of mouth
      • Wear a hat (baseball, winter, or crazy hat) and donate money on January 20
      • Executive Council will visit all period 4 classes on January 20 to collect donations
      • Caps for Kids photos during all gym classes on January 20
    • Class Cause Plans
      • Class Cause Weeks:
        • Seniors – week of April 17
          • event date: april 18
        • Juniors – week of April 24
          • event date: april 22
        • Sophomores – week of May 1
          • event date: may 4
        • Freshmen – week of May 8
          • event date: may 9
      • Finalize evening events/tournaments
        • Freshmen – Volleyball
        • Sophomores – Basketball
        • Juniors – Soccer
        • Seniors – Speedball
      • Class Cause Week activities
        • Each Council will create a new PSA video to help promote awareness for its cause – due date TBD **This will be worth Valley Cup points (100, 75, 50, 40)
        • Councils will organize and run an event/tournament at night in the new or old gym
          • Councils MUST meet with Mr. Gattoni to organize the actual date of the event
          • Council Advisors MUST book the date of the event/tournament through schooldude and the main office
          • Council Advisors MUST be at the event to help with supervision
          • This will be worth Valley Cup points – Top 2 teams get points (50, 25) **If team is mixed grades, points will be a percentage based on the number of students from each grade; If team has a faculty member, those specific point values will be removed from winning class totals
        • Dress up day during the week – the entire school will wear each grade’s color on the day of the evening event/tournament **This will be worth Valley Cup points
        • Front Lobby and New Gym Entrance Decorations – councils will decorate the Front Lobby (from Buesser’s office window to the front door) and New Gym Entrance for their designated week – you will decorate the Front Lobby and New Gym Entrance to help promote awareness for your cause
          • Councils MUST clean up the Front Lobby and New Gym Entrance by Friday after school (at the end of your designated week)
        • Councils are encouraged to do fundraising, promotional events, and activities throughout your designated week to help raise awareness/funds for your cause

 

  • All of these activities can be during the school day and MUST be approved by your advisors and the main office **There will be NO Valley Cup points for these activities – Don’t forget to take advantage of the Pascack Period and common lunch period
  • There will be NO schoolwide donation collections through homeroom periods (similar to how Home for Our Troops donations and Caps for Kids are collected)
  • If you plan on collecting donations, you must come up with a creative way to raise money

 

        • Be sure you talk to the other Class Councils and Executive Council about your plans – this will help eliminate any repeat ideas
  • Valley Cup #3
    • March 17, 2017
    • suggestions for next VC
      • more eating contests
      • pre-events/transition events like the scavenger hunts
      • hungry hungry hippos
    • Discuss possible events and theme dress up days
      • throwback clothes
        • should be on a thursday
      • groutfit
      • superhero day
  • Future dates to put on your calendar
    • Blood Drive – March 7, 2017
    • Senior Citizen’s Day – April 20, 2017
  • Update on the Café Mural and Bulletin Board from the Freshman Class Council
  • New Business/ Issues

 

Wednesday January 17, 2017

7:30 A.M.

Council Meeting #26

 

  • Big Council Thursday
    • Take yearbook photo
  • Caps for kids
    • This Friday schedule for taking hat photos
      • Chloe
      • Kelly
      • Merli Jacob
      • Drew Emilio
      • Legend Matt
      • Sophia Mary
    • PA announcement to be run wednesday and friday
    • Fundraising starts Thursday
      • Thursday and Friday go to your area during the 2nd slot (period 1)
      • Also go to take picture in your gym period on Friday
  • Sportsmanship statements move to the seniors
  • Class cause weeks
    • confirmed scoring methods/totals
      • Faculty get points omitted from teams
      • Mixed class teams split up points
  • Blood Drive April 20th

 

Wednesday January 11, 2017

7:30 A.M.

Council Meeting #25

 

  • Today is 8th grade orientation
    • Dress in PV attire
    • 5:40-6:30
  • Caps for kids
    • Email ready to be sent by emilio next week
    • Read statements next week Thursday 1/19 and Friday 1/20
    • Tuesday, envelopes will be organized
    • No video sent out
  • Big council meeting next Thursday 1/9

 

7:30 A.M.

Council Meeting #24

 

  • 8th grade orientation
    • Mary contacting guidance
    • January 11th
  • Caps For Kids
    • Take pictures in gym to send
    • Buchanan getting promotion kit
    • Read statements to classes rather than shooting a video
      • Chloe to edit statement and take pictures of every class
    • Wearing a hat does not count for VC points
  • Next big council meeting
    • Thursday January 19th
  • Jacob to bring up AIDs awareness day rescheduling at next ITS meeting

 

Thursday December 15, 2016

7:20 A.M.

Big Council Meeting #5

 

  • Approval of minutes from last meeting – all minutes are on The Smoke Signal link
  • President’s Report
    • Class President’s Report
      • Seniors
        • Karaoke fundraiser went well, hope to do more of them
        • Contacting paramus veterans home for a speaker
      • Junior
        • Prom committee created and working on other other fundraisers
        • Hard to directly contact a speakers
      • Sophomore
        • Successful Blue Moon fundraiser and planning to sell pv clothes
      • Designing and approving mural, approved day from gattoni, have speaker (need details)
  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Executive Council Treasurer’s Report
    • Class Treasurer’s Report
      • Exec $2519.09
      • Senior $6128.90
      • Junior $9002.53
      • Sophomore $3705.10
      • Freshman $1951
    • Be sure Class Treasurers have transferred the annual tax to the Executive Council’s account
      • Everyone has it
  • Valley Cup
    • Holiday Themed Dress Up Day on Thursday, December 22 = more details to follow (This will count for Valley Cup points)
      • Presidents should remind classes of this date
    • Feedback/reaction on Valley Cup #2
      • Events that were not supposed to be that funny (bball musical chairs) ended up being funny due to the people that participated
      • Better than the last one
    • Initial plans for upcoming Valley Cup Assemblies (might change – possible plans at this point):
      • Valley Cup #3 = Music Competition, Irish Dancing???
        • Battle of the bands format
      • Valley Cup #4 = Class Council Dance Competition, Athletic Event???
    • Suggestions for Valley Cup Assembly events and Valley Cup Week dress up days
      • Dress-up days
        • Bar Mitzvah sweatshirt day
          • Could use greenkill/frost valley if you don’t have a mitzvah sweatshirt
        • Jersey
        • Workout
        • 80’s day
      • Sport events
        • Lean towards hockey and speedball
  • Sportsmanship Statement and Schedule
    • Discuss the Sportsmanship Statement and Schedule = all home basketball games (male and female) and wrestling matches
    • Review schedule and statement on Google Doc
    • Be sure you cover your designated weeks throughout the season
  • Class Cause Week Report
    • Class Cause Weeks:
      • Week of April 17 – Seniors (Event = speedball
      • Week of April 24 – Juniors (Event = soccer
      • Week of May 1 – Sophomores (Event = basketball
      • Week of May 8 – Freshmen (Event = volleyball
    • What are your plans to raise money and awareness for your Class Cause? = Each council will discuss possible plans
      • All councils are reaching out to find speakers and continuing to create fundraisers (listed in pres. reports) to fund class and their cause week
    • PSA in conjunction with your class fundraiser/activity – more details and scoring rubrics will be forthcoming
    • Hallway decorations
    • Valley Cup points for PSA, Hallway decorations, AND winning team from sports tournament
    • Be sure you see Mr. Gattoni to formally schedule the night of your sports tournament – each Class Council must take care of this step
  • Update up on the Freshman mural for the café – be sure you see Mr. Buchanan and Mr. DeMaio before proceeding with the actual painting of the mural
  • Lunch with the Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent to discuss Marking Period structure and assessments
    • Council representation
      • Seniors: Matt Urrea, Kyle Comito, Nick Dibari
      • Juniors: Sam, Kyra G, Jackie Dehn, Emma Mosk, Jamie Bader
      • Sophomores: Sophia Urbaniak, Danny
      • Freshman: Olivia, Anna
    • Thursday, January 12 in room 203
    • We will discuss who is attending this lunch
    • If you are selected to attend the lunch, you must be there since it is with the Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent
    • Lunch will be provided
  • Gay Straight Alliance – discussion on the new format for GSA
    • Meeting in Jasper’s room today at lunch to show the direction GSA is moving to
    • Central point is to shed old version of GSA as a “pity party” and want to make it for valuable discussion
  • Be sure Class Secretaries are posting meeting minutes to The Smoke Signal website
  • New Business/Issues
    • Have an exec class cause week for suicide prevention

 

Monday December 12, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Council Meeting #23

 

  • Theater tickets
  • Breakfast next Tuesday
    • Jake
      • bagels
    • Sophia
      • munchkins
  • Amelia
    • CC and butter
  • Matt
    • juice
  • Buch
    • Entenmann’s
  • Gifts $5 limit next Tuesday
  • Valley Cup
    • Battle of the bands in the next one (3rd VC)
      • Bracket (soph vs. jr and frosh vs. sen)
      • Multiple bands at one time not a good idea
    • 4th VC
      • Dance
      • Sports event: basketball or frisbee
  • Next Friday dress up in holiday wear most likely for VC point
  • Thursday morning big council meeting

 

Tuesday December 6th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Council Meeting #22

  • Merli to be at PFO meeting this wednesday the 7th
  • GSA meeting this Friday
    • Emilio, Jacob, Jake to be there
    • All other council members try to show up and/or spread the word of a GSA that’s being revitalized
  • Tuesday December 20th Pre-Break Council Gathering
    • Breakfast
    • Gifts
  • Sportsmanship statements
    • Boys and Girls
    • Wrestling
    • Basketball
  • Ask sophomores if they want to make sportsmanship statements at next big council meeting
  • Cause week criteria
    • PSA
    • Speaker
    • Decorate front lobby and side entrance by new gym
    • Tournaments
      • Point for winners?
      • No, we should keep prizes for the winners and each member of the team gets points to their grade
      • Follow up on freshmen sport
  • Big Council Meeting next Thursday

Tuesday November 29th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Council Meeting #21

  • Theatre
    • Move Broadway Cares AIDS day back from Thursday December 1st
      • Possibly next week or before cause weeks start on Friday April, 7th which is national youth AIDs awareness
    • Theatre ticket sales
      • Encourage an incentive for pre-selling
      • Jacob get info on # of pre-sale tickets to calculate for VC points
  • Valley Cup Review
    • Positive comments
      • Funny
      • Always had something going on
      • Good timing
    • For the Future
      • Possible extra valley cup in January
      • Battle of bands tournaments style instead of individual performances

Wednesday November 23rd, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Council Meeting #20

  • Overall Run-through of Valley Cup

Monday November 21th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Council Meeting #19

  • Valley Cup
    • Scooters
      • Get one more for backup
      • Someone will perish
    • Speakers
      • Confirm logistics of pickup and drop off with Lauber
    • Relay Race
      • Chloe get cones
      • Jake: 12 cans of cranberries, 1 apple pie, 1 box of donuts
      • Jake, Jacob, Amelia can openers
      • Deli Football pads and helmets
    • Other resources
      • Chloe: basketballs, footballs, cones, hula hoops
      • Kelly yarn ball guns
  • How to distribute “Sportsmanship Matters” shirts
    • Possibly give out to individual councils for them to distribute

Thursday November 17th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Council Meeting #18

  • Redistribution of funds from the breakfast
    • People left to pay
      • Kelly, Deli, Legend
    • Emilio still owed $12
  • Valley Cup
    • Still using Lauber’s equipment
      • Confirm with Lauber
    • Event rules and supplies finalized
    • Contact Kimball and Mattesich about the chant

 

Wednesday November 16th, 2016

7:20 A.M.

Big Council Meeting #4

  • Approval of minutes from last meeting – all minutes are on the council website
  • President’s Report
    • Class President’s Report
      • Senior: karaoke night poinsettia sale candy gram sale
      • Junior finish t shirt sale beginning prom committee
      • Soph making t shirts dec. 5 dinner night blue moon $70 average weekly income from bake sale $250 from volleyball
      • Freshman mural and bulletin board during pascack period
  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Executive Council Treasurer’s Report
    • Class Treasurer’s Report
      • Exec $
      • Senior $3000
      • Junior $8000
      • Sophomore $$3344
  • Freshmen $1950
      • Be sure Class Treasurers have transferred the annual tax to the Executive Council’s account
      • Freshman color purple with Alzheimers association
    • Valley Cup #2
      • November 21, 22, and 23 – Dress Up Days
        • Monday (11/21) – Pajama Day (no yoga pants or leggings; must be school appropriate)
        • Tuesday (11/22) – Flannel Day
        • Wednesday (11/23) – Class Colors
      • November 23 – Valley Cup Assembly #2
  • Councils helping with the crowd control throughout the assembly (especially at the end)
        • Activities:
          • Nascar Race
            • 3 students per grade (each person does a lap) = no gender requirements
            • Wear helmet and pads
            • Obstacles along the course (shooting yarn balls at the racers, etc)
          • Thanksgiving Relay Race
            • 4 students per grade = no gender requirements
            • Tasks:
              • Opening cans of cranberries
              • Throwing a football through a hoop
              • Apple pie eating contest
              • Donut on a string eating contest
          • Basketball Musical Chairs
            • 2 students per grade = one male and one female
            • Must shoot layup once the song ends and race back to the chairs at the center court
            • Must rebound own ball
    • Class Cause Activities
      • Class Cause Weeks (confirm weeks):
        • Week of April 17 – Seniors
        • Week of April 24 – Juniors
        • Week of May 1 – Sophomores
        • Week of May 8 – Freshmen
      • Confirm sporting events for each week
        • Seniors speedball
        • Juniors indoor soccer
        • Sophomores
        • Freshmen undecided
      • PSA in conjunction with your class fundraiser/activity – more details and scoring rubrics will be forthcoming
      • Be sure you see Mr. Gattoni to formally schedule the night of your event – each Class Council must take care of this step
      • Each council should be ready to give a report at our December Student Council Meeting
        • What are your plans to raise money and awareness for your Class Cause?
        • Councils are to come with ideas/proof of contact with possible speakers for their cause week.
    • Update up on the Freshman Class Council mural for the café – be sure you see Mr. Buchanan and Mr. DeMaio before proceeding with the actual painting of the mural
    • Be sure Class Secretaries are posting meeting minutes to the council website
  • Discussion regarding the open gradebook during school hours
  • New Business

Tuesday November 15th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #17

  • Theater Tickets
      • Jacob reach out to theater to see if they’ll be willing to make a day of sale
  • Homes For Our Troops
      • Matt writes the letter to HFOT
      • Resources for the breakfast
        • Matt juice
        • Mary butter and CC
        • Emilio bagels
        • Sophia munchkins
        • Jacob fruit bowl
  • Broadway cares equity fights aids
      • Make wearing black for valley cup points
      • December 1st
  • Class Cause Weeks
      • Talk to councils about the importance of class cause week/why they need to decorate
      • Councils will decorate the front hallway and have the option of the gym entrance
      • Highlight importance of a speaker
  • Meeting on the day of valley cup
    • 11/23
    • 7:30

Tuesday November 8th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #16

  • Homes For Our Troops
      • Each group has their own envelop
        • Each class has their own envelope
      • Count the number of students in class
      • Count averages at lunch
  • Big Council Meeting
    • 11/16
    • 7:20
    • Agenda
      • Valley Cup info
      • Council helping with crowd at VC
      • Class cause weeks
      • Update on freshmen mural

Tuesday November 1st, 2016

7:20 A.M.

Meeting #15

  • Finalize Homes For Our Troops
      • 1st and runner up get breakfasts
      • Money taken every 2nd period
        • Monday: 2nd slot
        • Tuesday: 3rd slot
        • Wednesday: 4th slot
      • Envelope per class and label the class with day
      • Legend in charge of statement
      • Matt in charge of counting
      • Next week finalize breakfast details
  • Valley Cup prep
    • Theme days
      • Monday: PJs
      • Tuesday: flannel
      • Wednesday: Class Color
    • Activities
      • Cheer at beginning
      • Dance at the end
      • Tricycle race
        • No gender specifications
        • 3 laps 3 people
      • Food eating contest
        • One person per food
        • No gender requirements
        • Apple pie
        • Opening cans
        • Apple cider donut on string
        • Football throwing
      • Musical chair basketball
        • Girl and boy from each grade

Tuesday October 25th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #14

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Female Athletic Liaison Johnston, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte. All are present.

  • Theme Day
    • Monday Jersey
    • Tuesday Pajama
    • Wednesday class colors
  • Valley Cup Activities
    • Food relay
    • Tricycle/obstacle course relay

Thursday October 20th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Big Council Meeting #3

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte.

(Missing: Sophia Johnston)

  • Welcome Class of 2020 Council Members -Introduction of Members
    • Update on Class Cause and Color
      • Unlock
      • My Sister’s Place (domestic violence)
    • Bulletin Board in the cafeteria
    • Begin to generate ideas for the mural in the cafeteria (start identifying your artists for the project)
      • Mural design must be approved ahead of time = be sure you see Mr. Buchanan to go over the process
    • Be sure Executive Council has your contact information
  • President’s Report
    • Class President’s Report
      • Senior
        • Money from water at football games
        • Making new shirt for seniors
      • Juniors
        • Just finished t-shirts
        • Planning field trip and prom
        • Thinking about walk
      • Sophomores
        • Just finished some fundraising
  • Treasurer’s Reports
    • Exec
      • $604.09
    • Senior
      • About $3000
    • Junior
      • $8734
    • Sophomore
      • Around $2700
    • Freshmen
      • $-100
    • Executive Tax, Article V of PV Constitution – be sure all classes transfer taxes to the Executive Council ($100 per council)
  • Valley Cup
    • Reaction from Valley Cup #1
      • Freshmen thought it was boring
      • People want food eating contest
    • November 21, 22, and 23 – Theme Days
      • 80’s Day
      • Frat Day
      • Groutfit
      • Fit Day
      • PJ’s
      • Flannel Day
    • November 23 – Valley Cup Assembly #2
      • Discuss initial plans for the activities for Valley Cup #2
        • Food relay races
  • Class Council Meetings and sharing meeting minutes
    • Be sure Class Council Secretaries are uploading meeting minutes to the designated page on The Smoke Signal
  • College Fair Volunteers
    • October 20
    • Reminder for all volunteers for tonight’s College Fair = be sure you are on time for your assigned time slot and that you wear PV gear
  • Homecoming BBQ
    • October 29
    • Homecoming Committee is still in need of additional workers
    • Please see Chloe Witt or Kelly Petro to volunteer for the BBQ
  • Coat Drive
    • be sure all councils are encouraging classmates to donate coats
    • Donation bins are in the front lobby and by the new gym
  • Home for Our Troops – November 7, 8, and 9
    • Monday, November 7
      • during 2nd period, Executive Council members will explain Home for Our Troops, the annual fundraiser
    • Tuesday, November 8 and Wednesday, November 9
      • Executive Council members will visit all 2nd period classes to collect money for Home for Our Troops
        • The 2nd period that donates the most money over the two days will get a free breakfast from the Executive Council
        • The period who donates the second most money will get a breakfast that is a tier down from the first place prize
    • Very important that all Councils encourage their classes to donate money for this wonderful cause
  • Initial Class Cause Week plans
    • Review the overall purpose of Class Cause Weeks
    • Discuss the initial plans for this year’s Class Cause Weeks
      • One week per grade (in the spring similar to previous years)
        • Most likely the weeks of April 17, April 24, May 1, and May 8
          • Seniors get 17th
          • Juniors get the 24th
          • Sophomores get the 1st
          • Freshmen get the 8th
      • PSA played for the entire school
      • Athletic event/tournament
        • Senior
          • Speedball
        • Junior
          • Soccer
        • Sophomore
          • Basketball or Volleyball
      • Hallway decorations
      • Book speakers/activities during Pascack Period
        • big push for this portion during this year’s Cause Weeks
      • Fundraising throughout the week – must be creative with your fundraising
      • Dress up day on the day of the Athletic event/tournament
    • Specific weeks will be selected at the November Big Council Meeting – please wait to begin planning specific activities until that point

Tuesday October 18th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #13

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte.

(Missing: Sophia Johnston)

  • 8th Grade Orientation Tonight
  • Final Red Cross Deposit
    • Matt will handle the coins and announce total at the end of the day to school
  • Status on tax forms
    • Seniors and freshmen dine
  • College Fair This Thursday Oct. 20
  • Big Council Meeting this Thursday
    • Oct. 20th
    • Extra agenda items
      • Valley Cup feedback
      • Homecoming
      • Coat Drive
      • College Fair
      • Class Cause Weeks
  • Mock Election
    • Most likely a week or two before the real election
  • Homes for our troops
    • Make prizes for 1st and 2nd
    • 1st
      • Breakfast
    • 2nd
      • Less prestigious breakfast
  • Possibly make our own class cause week

Tuesday October 11th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #12

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte.

(Missing: Sophia Johnston)

  • College Fair
    • Need to confirm if they need more volunteers (Drew)
  • Next Thursday bug council meeting
    • Bring up homecoming
    • Poll other councils about valley cup
    • discuss/introduce class cause weeks
      • Introduce idea of speakers from their foundations
      • Possible weeks: April 17/April 24/may 1/may 8
  • Matt get the tax forms from each council
  • Coat Drive
    • Find out due date
  • Homes For Our Troops
    • competition
  • Red Cross Fundraising for Hurricane Mathew

Tuesday October 4th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #11

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Female Athletic Liaison Johnston, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte. All are present.

  • Sportsmanship
    • Last football game definitely improved
    • New entry system should be kept in place
  • Coat Drive
    • Publicity through Twitter
  • Make Sure Councils pay tax
    • Matt is in charge of getting each council to pay the $100
      • Senior Council has already paid
  • College Fair
    • Oct. 20th
    • Watch for reminder email for all job time slots
  • Spirit Week
    • Look to continue the sports tournaments
    • Encourage a speaker for each grade’s cause
    • Delegate each council to a hallway so that the colors are up with reminders for people to attend the fundraisers
  • 8th grade orientation
    • Tuesday Oct. 18th
    • Mary in charge of organizing the volunteers of each council
  • Meeting next Tuesday Oct. 11th

Tuesday September 27th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #10

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Female Athletic Liaison Johnston, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte. All are present.

  • College Fair
    • Thursday October 20th
    • Need volunteers
      • Set up tables
      • Manning entrances
      • Escort reps to tables
      • 5-6:30 college rep dinner
  • Plan for sportsmanship
    • Concerns from Gattoni
      • Safety of students during OT and Ramapo games
        • Possible solutions from Gattoni
          • Next 3 OT games for any sports would not allow any high school fans
          • Empty basketball games for all games regardless of the opponent
        • Possible solutions from council
          • Have people leave from different exits
          • Give an ultimatum to the school
          • Have varsity captains talk to school about why fans need to calm down
          • Sitting down students who are a problem in the stands
        • Generally make sure to stop inappropriate chants
  • Valley Cup Reactions
    • Events were too long so next time overplan
    • Need more crowd control by end
    • Keep students involved
  • Freshmen Elections Tomorrow
    • Stations set by Jacob on the shared spreadsheet
    • be at spots at 10:45 (leave period 4 early)

Tuesday September 20th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #9

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Female Athletic Liaison Johnston, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte. All are present.

  • Coat Drive
    • To do with the tribe in South Dakota that was visited by Mathias and Jerome during the summer
    • Need PR help
    • Mostly coats for little kids or X…L coats
  • Voter registration will be organized into age group piles by Jake
  • Freshman liaison to exec
    • James Della Pesca is officially Freshman liaison
  • Valley Cup
    • DJ will be swapped around the council every Valley Cup
      • Music sent in by several students
    • Cheerleaders opted out
    • ideas to fill the extra 10 mins
      • Introduce the new exec council
      • Scavenger hunt with the crowd
        • Keyword in 6/10 balloons for each grade
        • 3 items
        • 3 physical activities
    • Meeting for VC Friday morning with a walkthrough from Sophia and Legend

Friday September, 16 2016

7:30 A.M.

Exec/Senior Meeting #2

Attendance: Exec./Senior classes present

  • Sportsmanship & Fan Behavior
    • gattoni
      • The message of sportsmanship & fan behavior is more effective when it comes from students or possibly even the captains of the sports teams

Thursday September 15th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Big Council Meeting #2

Attendance: All councils are present. Individual class attendances are taken by Presidents

  • President’s Report
    • Class President’s Report
      • Sophomore
        • Rutgers fundraiser projected to make $3,300. Thinking of PV and ALS shirts for general fundraising.
      • Junior
        • Working to solidify class trip after an issue with the bowling alley for prom. Possible PV shirt fundraiser. Restaurant fundraiser for prom. Walk for zack
      • Senior
        • advertising for food trucks because they aren’t making as much money as seniors have hoped. Could start selling water for the football games to generate more money.
    • Be sure all council members follow the new Executive Council Twitter account
  • Treasurer’s Reports
    • Executive Tax, Article V of PV Constitution
      • be sure all classes transfer taxes to the Executive Council (need to let the Freshman Council know once they are elected)
    • Executive Council Treasurer’s Report
      • Balance:
    • Class Treasurer’s Report
      • Sophomore Balance: $1,802
      • Junior Balance: $8734.89
      • Senior Balance: $4000
  • Proposed Amendment to Article XII of the PV Constitution
    • Discuss and begin the Amendment process for rectifying election ties for Class Council Representatives
    • Votes
      • Yes: All exec members
      • No: zero votes
  • 1st Valley Cup
    • Friday 9/23
    • Theme Days
      • Monday (9/19) – not a theme day
      • Tuesday (9/20) – Tie Dye Tuesday (wear tie dye shirt)
      • Wednesday (9/21) – Wacky Wednesday (crazy socks, crazy hat, Inside and Outside, mismatched outfits, etc. *no underwear on the outside)
      • Thursday (9/22) – Patriotic Thursday (wear red, white, and blue)
      • Friday (9/23) – Green and White (wear green and white)
    • Activities
      • Soccer shootout
        • (4 total players – 3 shooters, 1 goalie = at least one of the shooters must be female) (Point value = 100, 75, 50, 25)
        • 2 grades vs. each other
        • Championship round
        • Tie breaker = sudden death
      • Student/Teacher Volleyball game
        • 8 players at a time (2 players from each grade = one male and one female)
        • Game to 25 points
        • Faculty = 4 males and 4 females
  • Sportsmanship and Respect at PV and at PV sporting events
    • Discuss the importance for sportsmanship and respect throughout PV and at PV sporting events
    • Review the Executive and Class Councils’ role with promoting better sportsmanship among the fans and students
    • Demaio: The last football game was better than years past so we’re stepping in the right direction. Some concern for this Friday vs. OT. Important to understand that many people are watching so fans should beware not to act in an inappropriate manner that sheds bad light on us. Make sure to deter pregame drinking.
  • Back to School Night
    • Tonight 9/15
    • Be on time when you report to the lobby at 5:30
    • Wear PV Gear
    • Responsibilities
      • Aid parents
        • Directions
        • Questions
        • Remember to be hospitable
  • Meeting minutes on The Smoke Signal website
    • Drew will explain the format for all council meeting minutes and how to place the minutes on The Smoke Signal website
  • New Business
    • Possible group picture for each council on the smoke signal with caption labeling each person so that the councils are more widely known.
    • Make sure to do as much as possible next week for valley cup so that freshmen can also jump into the culture

Thursday September 15th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #8

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Female Athletic Liaison Johnston, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte. All are present.

  • Voter Registration Schedule Completed
    • P4 & 5 Tuesday Buchanan all other classes
    • P5 Tuesday Leg Soph Slocket
    • P7 Tuesday Amelia room 203
    • P6 Wednesday Sophia room 203
    • P1  Thursday Mary and Drew room 215
    • P1 Friday Merli room 205
    • P3 Friday Kelly Petro room 205
  • Back to school night
    • Be at the school at 5:30
    • Everyone is to wear PV Gear
      • Wear exec shirts
    • Thursday 9/15/16
  • Freshmen elections Wednesday 9/28
  • (Copied from meeting #5) Must amend the constitution
    • Problem: last year there was a 3-way tie for the 5th rep spot and the constitution doesn’t have the right wording for what happens if that occurs
    • Can be amended in three ways
      • Faculty member suggests it
      • ¾ of student body gets signatures
      • VP proposes
  • Exec/Senior Meeting
    • 7:30 Friday 9/16 in room 203
  • Valley Cup
    • PK Shootout scoring
      • 1st place: 100
      • 2nd place: 75
      • 3rd place: 50
      • 4th place: 25
    • Theme days stay the same
      • Dress up days confirmed (also on the meeting #5 notes)
        • Monday : off
        • Tuesday: tie dye
        • Wednesday: wacky
        • Thursday: patriotic
        • Friday: green and white

Tuesday September 13th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #7

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Female Athletic Liaison Johnston, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte. All are present.

  • Voter registration next week 9/12-9/16
    • Voter forms to be handed out and completed in english classes
  • Big Council Meeting Next Thursday 9/15
  • Valley Cup
    • DJ
      • So far, lack of voluntary interest
      • Could possible reuse last year’s playlist with newer edits and rotate DJs amongst the council
    • Dress up days
      • Monday : off
      • Tuesday: tie dye
      • Wednesday: wacky
        • Crazy socks, hat, mismatched clothes, inside out, etc.
        • Not allowed to wear undergarments outside clothes
      • Thursday: patriotic
      • Friday: green and white
    • Games
      • PK Shootout
        • 3 shooters 1 goalie
        • 1 girl must shoot
        • Sophomore vs. Senior
        • Freshman vs. Junior
      • Student Faculty Volleyball
        • 8 players on a court at the time
        • 2 players from each grade
        • 1 boy & 1 girl
        • Points count regardless of serves
        • Game to 25 to be checked with Lewis
    • Cheerleaders will perform

Tuesday September 6th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #6

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Female Athletic Liaison Johnston, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte. All are present.

  • Gather supply list and give it to buchanan for the exec bulletin board
  • Projected theme days
    • Monday : off
    • Tuesday: tie dye
    • Wednesday: wacky
    • Thursday: patriotic
    • Friday: green and white
  • Other ideas for valley cup
    • Student teacher games
      • Volleyball
      • Basketball
    • Possibly get rid of the relay race
    • Bring back PK shootout
  • 1st Valley Cup
    • Cheerleaders
    • PK shootout
    • Student teacher volleyball
  • DJ prospects
    • Frank Cascio
    • Tyler DiLorenzo
  • Buy speakers for homecoming and Valley Cup
    • $300
    • Homecoming picks up $100
    • Each council picks up $40
  • Next meeting thursday morning

Friday September 1st, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #5

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Female Athletic Liaison Johnston, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte. All are present.

  • Bulletin boards need to be redone/finished
    • Drew and liaisons- contact class presidents
  • Freshman liaison to be picked
    • Should be filled by week of the 19th
      • Before freshman elections
    • Applications to be sent out next week
  • Back to school night
    • Sep. 15
    • Remind all councils
    • Time to attend tbd (most likely 5:30)
  • Must amend the constitution
    • Problem: last year there was a 3-way tie for the 5th rep spot and the constitution doesn’t have the right wording for what happens if that occurs
    • Can be amended in three ways
      • Faculty member suggests it
      • ¾ of student body gets signatures
      • VP proposes
    • The executive council votes on an amendment in front of all councils
    • Two possibilities for reps when there’s a tie for fifth (or three way tie)
      • Get all members (even ones tied) into council and have less appointed reps
      • Do a run off between the tied members
  • Freshmen elections on the 28th
    • Council members to miss end of 4th, all of lunch, some-all of pascack period
  • Next senior exec meeting
    • Emilio to plan with Matt for the time tbd
  • Board of Ed. and PFO meetings coming up
  • Phonathon time tbd
  • Regular time to meet
    • Every Tuesday 7:30 AM

Thursday August 25th, 2016

2:30 P.M.

Meeting #4

Attendance: Exec council present (Missing: Jake Aferiat)

  • Orientation next wednesday 8/31
    • Make sure all councils are present *Emilio
    • Everyone to wear full pv gear
    • Make posters for the 1st period freshmen teachers with room numbers
    • Organize council members into council member groups

Tuesday June 21st, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Exec/Senior Meeting #1

Attendance: Exec./Senior classes present (Missing: Jacob Ricco) (Tardy: Sue Lee)

  • The class doesn’t have pride
    • Possibility of a mass meeting
    • “Grass Roots” are a better method
      • Think about “funnier” ideas so that people get involved
      • Council members need to go over the top at all times
      • “Last time you’ll ever see Phil Wong play”
      • Persistency is key- Jaferiat
      • Emails aren’t enough, council members have to spread the word themselves
      • Create meeting with the administration regarding making friday schedule a wednesday schedule and use pascack period for V. Cup
      • Students dress up more
      • “We want you for Valley Cup” Merli poster
      • Valley Cup Event Ideas
        • More food relay races
        • Make sporting events a priority
        • Crowd meter
        • Student vs. Faculty

Friday June 17th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Big Council Meeting #1

Attendance: All councils are present. Individual class attendances are taken by Presidents

  • Emotional passing of the gavel
  • Emilio’s Vision
    • Linked here:

https://docs.google.com/a/pascack.k12.nj.us/document/d/1NkWqQkQvnENwSrVG0WtRzp92e8ep65LbafStYj-U3-g/edit?usp=sharing

  • Pres. Reports
    • Juniors
      • Initial planning for prom
      • Get ready for grad. Practice
    • Sophomores
      • Plan deposits for class trips
    • Freshmen
      • New ALS event
      • Rutgers game
  • Treasurer’s Reports
    • Exec
      • $1069
    • Juniors
      • $6227
    • Sophomores
      • $6200
    • Freshmen
      • $2788
  • 9th Grade Orientation
    • August 31st
    • Emilio will contact presidents over the summer
    • Make sure all councils are wearing all green and decked out in valley pride
  • Homecoming 2016
    • Halloween themed
    • Talk to anyone on homecoming to help
    • They need help with:
      • Pick up food
      • Cook
      • Donating activities like kan jam
  • Suggestions for programs or activities
    • Think about a texting service that reminds people for dress up days
  • New Business
    • HAVE FUN! -Gabby

Tuesday June 7th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #3

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Female Athletic Liaison Johnston, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte. All are present.

  • Graduation Practice
    • June 17th
    • 10 AM
    • Front Lobby
    • Around 2 hours
  • Final exec meeting with the passing of the gavel
    • 7:20 but be their earlier
  • 9th grade orientation
    • August 31st
    • Plan on Wednesday August 24th at 10 AM
  • Next Year 9th grade class council elections
    • Jacob runs the elections again and it will be done the same way
    • Freshmen liaison must be picked
  • Meet with the 9th grade council
    • discuss the problems that the school faces next year regarding the unhealthy environment and lack of school spirit
  • Big council meeting
    • Tuesday June 14th
  • Exec and senior meeting
    • Thursday June 16
    • In the lecture hall

Monday May 25th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #2

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Female Athletic Liaison Johnston, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte. All are present.

  • Jacob runs through all of the election day logistics
    • Wednesday June 1st
    • Highlight names with the color coded for corresponding location
      • Prevents insanely heavy voter fraud
    • Council members leave 10 minutes early from period 4 class and go to their specific locations
  • Council Members must attend Grad. practice
    • Friday June 17
  • Next Big Council meeting
    • Tuesday June 14
    • Gavil handed over and Emilio’s vision is presented
  • Last full week of August
    • Meeting and 9th grade orientation
  • Next meeting
    • Wednesday June 1st
    • Preparation for elections
  • Exec council t-shirts
    • Desiigner: Andrew Merli and Sophia
    • Other designs are welcome to be brought in for the next meeting
  • Upcoming meetings:
    • Wednesday June 1
    • Wednesday June 8

Monday May 20th, 2016

7:30 A.M.

Meeting #1

Attendance: President Quevedo, Vice President Ricco, Treasurer Novakowski, Secretary Aral, Public Relations Officer Merli, Female Athletic Liaison Johnston, Male Athletic Liaison Dominguez, Senior Class Liaison Witt, Board of Ed. Liaison Moran, Representative Aferiat, and Representative Viceconte. All are present.

  • Emilio needs to formulate his vision and present it to Demaio
    • Suggestions from council
      • A transformation towards a more positive school environment. The increasing apathy is something we should tackle
      • Revamping valley cup
        • Combining hills and valley
          • The winners after the full year valley cup faces hills in a bigger hills vs. valley cup
          • The final winners play against them in a final against their finalists at either valley or hills. The final “arena” will be held at one of the schools and will alternate based on the previous years winner (the winner’s home will then be the final arena for the next year)
          • We must propose this to hills when there elections are done in a week
      • Seriously addressing the mascot issue
      • Look at entire school’s identity is being lost and address the loss of respect
        • Create more interest for getting into events that students are putting hard work into
          • Ex: Ohana, plays, pascack period events
      • Improving school sporting events’ environments
        • We must improve the work of the teachers who are working at the games
        • Figure out how the following senior class is going to act
          • Will they do nothing or
          • Become very spirited
      • The council should stay away from “@FearTheIndian” because it is a private account with subjective views that don’t properly represent exec. council
      • “I have a staff of 17 writers”- Jake Aferiat
Pascack Valley High School's Official News Site: Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Executive Council